Find a quiet comfortable place where you won’t be disturbed for 10 minutes. (If the sun is shining try this outside in a garden or park).
- Sit in a comfortable position, close your eyes.
- Take a few deep breaths filling your lungs with air. As you breathe out imagine you are breathing out any unwanted stress or anxiety from your body. Feel the breath right down to the base of your spine.
- Let your mind quieten. Let go of all thoughts and focus on your breath. If your mind wanders, be ok with it and come back to the breath when you are ready.
- Bring your attention to the middle of your chest. Imagine the sunshine beaming into this space. Fill the entire area with this golden warmth. Breathe in and feel the warmth deep inside your chest and in and around your heart.
- Take a few moments to focus on how this warmth feels. Bask in it.
- After a few more breaths, inhale and draw the golden warmth up to the middle of your forehead. Sit for a few moments and feel the warmth spread across your forehead.
- While focussing on the warm golden glow on your forehead, say thank you to yourself or out loud, for 5 things you are grateful for today. Say “Thank you (spirit/God/universe/other). I am grateful for _________________.
- After you have declare the five things you are grateful for, sit and notice the feelings that come up. Take some time to go deeply into those feelings.
- Take a few more breaths and feel the warmth across your forehead and in your heart area again.
- In your own time slowly open your eyes and notice how you feel. Stand up very gently with the intention of being wide awake, refreshed and ready for your day.
- Carry this good feeling of gratitude around with you throughout the day.
If you don’t have time to meditate just declare 5 things you are grateful for each day. Practice this and see what happens.
Gratitude is one of the highest, most fulfilling, emotions we can have. Yet most of the time, without even being aware of it, we focus more on what we don’t have, what’s wrong or what we want to be different, rather than on what we can be grateful for. This is just human nature and happens to us all. But by practicing being grateful everyday we will slowly shift our focus to the positive and allow the flow of what we really want into our lives.
Just for today…..think of 5 things you can grateful for in your life…..take on practicing this every day and see what shifts.
Tip: put a daily “gratitude” reminder in your phone !!
See also Gratitude Mediation blog
The Mind Body Spirit show is happening this weekend (18th, 19th & 20th March) at the RDS Dublin. Its worth checking out the website www.mindbodyspirt.ie for details of what’s on. You’ll find lots of Reiki fans there, including myself.
The Reiki Federation Ireland will be hosting a stand at the show so if you are curious about Reiki but not sure you are ready to book a treatment why not visit the stand and try a short treatment. You can get details of Reiki Practitioners and Teachers in your area.
I’ll be around over the weekend and have some special deals exclusive for the show. I’m really looking forward to it. Hope to see you all there. If not see you at the next Mind Body Spirit Show in October.
The relationship between a parent and child can be one of the most profoundly special and intense relationships one may ever experience. As parents we want to love, protect and teach our children. But let us not forget, our children, can also be our greatest teachers in life. They mirror who we are, who we want to be and who we don’t want to be.
When the relationship between the parent and child doesn’t reflect that of the “ideal”, as parents we immediately try to fix the problem, sort it out or look for something or someone to blame. We cannot fathom how or when it all started to go wrong…. we begin frantically to look to external sources to help us deal with our issues; libraries of books, parenting courses, advice from willing friends and let’s not forget family members who are always at the ready with their own helpful advice.
Sometimes we do find techniques and solutions that work for a while, but inevitably we return to the same issues over and over again. So why is this? We have forgotten to look at one very important source….We have forgotten to look at the internal…Yes, we have forgotten to look within ourselves. In Reiki we find the answers deep within, in sometimes brief moments of clarity, we find answers to our frustrating questions…answers that none of the books or courses will ever provide on their own.
In my Children’s Reiki workshops, it is with the above in mind that I always encourage the parents to stay with their children. Some stay reluctantly, their hopes of getting some free time away from possibly a demanding child dashed, some stay with no attachment to the event either way, and some stay because they wouldn’t want to be anywhere else in the world at that moment.
During the workshop something magical happens, although the parents for the main part are just observers and the children do all the “work”, both the parent and child leave the workshop, their relationship having reached a new level of very often unimaginable depth. Some verbalise their feelings, while others, generally the most talkative of the bunch, are suddenly lost for words. The glow on their faces and the happiness in their eyes leave no room for words. I wave goodbye to my new students, young and old, feeling so grateful for being part of this experience.
As I head off to pick up my own children I am often overcome with emotion….I know, for some of these children and their parents it is only the beginning of a new journey together…where it will take them who knows. You could say teaching Reiki to children is not about teaching Reiki at all but about transforming relationships….the most precious relationship.
I am jolted out of my moment of bliss by my own three, highly energetic children, who on these days always seem to greet me with extra tight hugs and kisses!!!!!!